Shortly after moving into ZAPATO POWER SERIES’ Starwood Park Apartments, young Freddie Ramos discovers a mysterious gift for him: shoes (“zapatos” in Spanish). Not just any shoes, but shoes that let him run faster than anything else, shoes that help him race on a train and fly around. Using this secret superpower, Freddy tries to solve puzzles and help those in his neighborhood – all while doing his homework and not being late for a break.
The multi-layered stories in these books are delightful, drawing young readers into the small details of Freddie’s life in a way rarely seen in earlier chapter books. The Zapato Power series features a fantastic cast of characters and adventurous mysteries to keep readers engaged. Freddy was always trying to help others, and he met Mr. Vaslov, who did the same, bringing a warm camaraderie to the entire series. The superpowers of shoes are the magic children dream of.
- Author: Jacqueline Jules
- Illustrator: Miguel Benítez
- Genre: For Beginning Readers
- Topics: Magic and Fantasy, Adventures, Friendship, Great Boy Role Models
- Character Strengths: Curiosity, Empathy, Integrity, Perseverance
- Book type: Fiction
- Publisher: Albert Whitman & Co.
- Publication date: March 1, 2011
- Publisher’s recommended age(s): 5 – 8
- Number of pages: 88
- Available on: Paperback, Audiobook (unabridged), Hardback, Kindle
- Last updated: June 17, 2022